Tuesday 3 January 2017

Ferris Wheel (10247) - Chapter 1 Done!


Chapter 1 (AKA the boring stuff) is now done! Chapter 1 was mostly the base and foundation for the ferris wheel. Very necessary but not really the most interesting stuff to build in terms of play value.

I did, however, have a fun little time doing some troubleshooting as the mechanism that operates the "floorboards" and causes them to raise and lower wasn't working. It turns out that we had used the wrong size of gear on one of the internal connections. We used one that was too small and was not reaching and meshing with the tooth plate underneath.

As my mom likes to point out, it was completely my fault as I was the one picking the pieces for her and she was doing the actual building. Nonetheless, it wasn't too bad of a fix. I took apart a few things so I could access the gear and had everything slapped back together (AND working!!) in less than 10 minutes.

The amount of mechanical function on this set is pretty amazing - there are multiple gear connections that we have built already. I can only imagine there will be more to come to make the wheel actually move .... CAN'T WAIT!

Here are a few shots from various angles of how the set looks like Chapter 1 complete.





No comments:

Post a Comment