Monday 6 February 2017

Death Star UCS (75159) - Guess Who Got One? .....

Mmmhmmm YUP! I picked up one of these from the Lego Store this weekend. The box was huge and probably weighed about 15 lbs (it seemed to have grown to 100lbs by the time I had lugged it through the mall and back to the car). There were only 2 sets on display at the store (not sure if they have more in the back and just don't want to have so much sitting out as it is an expensive set). One had a pretty banged up box - there was a large crease that ran the length of the box and the corners were pretty scuffed up. Luckily, the second box (the one I picked) was pretty sharp. All the faces were smooth and the corners looked fairly crisp.

It was approximately $630 including tax. A lot of people were angry with this re-release (it replaces the Death Star 10188 set) as it seemed there were minimal changes between it and the 10188 set. The biggest difference was perhaps the price, which increased from $500 CAD to $600 CAD.However, having never owned the 10188 set, I can't really complain as this allows me to add an iconic element to my collection. I admit that the $600 price tag is steep though. It makes me feel a little better that it seems to be the most cost effective to buy it here in Canada. The listed USD list price is $500, which after conversion is about $650 CAD. In Australia, you would have to shell out a whopping $800 AU for the set. The AU and CAD dollars are pretty much on par, which means the Aussies are spending $800 CAD on this. Yay for being in Canada!

It looks pretty impressive from the outside - a lot of different famous scenes recreated inside the death star and with 25 mini-figures included in the set, there is bound to be a ton of play function. Not sure when I am going to get around to building it as there are a number of sets I have planned already.


So for the meantime, it's sitting in my closet where I go and ogle it once in a while :)


Front of the box - with official UCS stamp


Back of the box - also stamped with the UCS logo

No comments:

Post a Comment